JOEL S. KANE, Consultant
Joel S. Kane, former president and partner of the firm and an original founder of the firm, joined his father, Charles H. Kane's accounting practice after graduating from the Wharton School of Finance and Commerce of the University of Pennsylvania in 1959. He has a strong background and experience in manufacturing, and the construction industry and has been instrumental in the formation of many new businesses, assisting clients in obtaining financing, and in the acquiring and selling of businesses and property.
He presently is a consultant to the firm and counsels staff and clients on financial transactions, tax matters, and estate and retirement planning. Joel is a former licensed certified public accountant and a former member of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, the Massachusetts Society of Certified Public Accountants and the Rhode Island Society of Certified Public Accountants.
PETER D. KANE, CPA
Peter is the president and the managing partner of Kane and Kane and has been with the firm since 1964, a firm founded by his father in 1937. He has extensive experience in computer hardware and software installations, and in all aspects of financial reporting accounting - audits, reviews and compilations - and extensive tax and personal financial counseling experience. His concentrations are in the health care field and he is well-known for his expertise in this area.
Peter is also experienced and counsels clients in the following areas:
- Structuring employee compensation plans--pension and profit sharing plans, health insurance plans, cafeteria plans
- Computer consulting--selecting proper hardware and software and keeping current on the latest innovations in the ever changing technology world.
- Developing and implementing client internal controls and client internal accounting manuals
- Personal financial planning
- Estate and gift planning--including structuring wills and trusts for clients
- Representing and advising clients with buy-sell agreements and stockholder agreements
- Valuation of closely held businesses and being available to testify in court as to those valuations
- Structuring bank financing and loan agreements and negotiating on behalf of the client with banks and other lenders
- Counseling clients in divorce related matters and appearing as an expert witness in such matters when appropriate
- Representing clients in IRS and state audits
- Litigation support matters
Peter has a Bachelor of Science Degree in Economics from the Wharton School of Finance and Commerce of the University of Pennsylvania. He is a certified public accountant and a member of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA), and the Massachusetts Society of Certified Public Accountants. He was involved in community affairs and had been a Trustee of Charlton Memorial Hospital, a member of the Hospital Board of Trustee Finance Committee, Compensation Committee, Professional Affairs Committee, a member of the Charlton Memorial Hospital Endowment Advisory Committee, and a trustee of Health Management Initiatives, Inc., a for profit subsidiary of Southcoast Health Systems, Inc.
JOSEPH A. CORDEIRO, CPA
Joe is a partner of Kane and Kane and has been with the firm since January, 1967. Joe has a wide range of experience in accounting, auditing, taxation and client advisory services. He has extensive experience in auditing manufacturing concerns as well as reviews of retail businesses, professional service corporations, and contractors. In fact, Joe handles one of the firm’s largest client, a manufacturer of bakery products whose products are distributed and sold throughout New England, New York, and mid-Atlantic states.
Joe is a certified public accountant and is a member of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, the Massachusetts Society of Certified Public Accountants, and the Rhode Island Society of Certified Public Accountants. He is a graduate of Bryant University in Smithfield, Rhode Island with a Bachelor of Science Degree in Business Administration, majoring in accounting.
ALFREDO M. FRANCO, CPA, MST
Fred is a partner of Kane and Kane and has been with the firm since 1980. With his years of experience in public accounting he is involved in the audit, taxation, and management consulting functions of our firm. He has varied audit experience including manufacturers, construction, distributors, retailers, professional service corporations and realty companies.
With a Masters Degree in Taxation and extensive tax experience and research, Fred has acted as our tax manager assisting other partners, staff and clients he services directly. He has extensive experience representing clients on IRS and state audits. He has a great deal of experience in corporate, partnership, "S" corporation, individual, trust and estate taxation at both the federal and state levels. Fred works with clients on tax research, planning strategies and determining tax implications and transactions and various estate planning strategies as well as the compilation of estate assets and preparation of estate tax returns.
In his management consulting capacity, Fred has been involved with and has advised several clients relative to their bank financing arrangements and agreements and has also been involved in various corporate/shareholder buy-sell agreements, mergers and acquisitions, budgeting and forecasting and cash flow analysis.
Fred has a Bachelor's Degree in Accounting form the University of Massachusetts - Dartmouth and a Masters of Science in Taxation from Bryant College. He is a certified public accountant and his memberships include the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants and the Massachusetts Society of Certified Public Accountants. He is also a member and past president and past treasurer of the Fall River Chapter of the Prince Henry Society and a member and past president of the Prince Henry Society of Massachusetts, Inc. He has also served as treasurer of the Great Feast of the Holy Ghost of New England and served on the Board of Directors of the Fall River Chamber of Commerce.
M. HELENA AMARAL, CPA, MST
Helen is a partner of Kane and Kane and has been with the firm since 1981. She has extensive experience in all aspects of the accounting, auditing, and tax services for a wide variety of clients including professional service organizations, manufacturers,contractors, and distributors. Helen has a great deal of experience in corporate, partnerships, "S" corporations and individual accounting and taxation matters.
She has a Bachelor of Science Degree in Accounting from the University of Massachusetts - Dartmouth and a Master of Science Degree in Taxation from Bryant College.
Helen is a certified public accountant and is a member of the Massachusetts Society of Certified Public Accountants and the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants. She serves on the board of directors of Bank Five. She is also an active member of the Fall River chapter of the Prince Henry society.
BRIAN F. CHISHOLM, CPA, MST
Brian is a partner of Kane and Kane and has been employed by the firm since November, 1984. His many years of public accounting experience include complete responsibility for financial reporting, tax preparation and planning, and management advisory services. Industries include manufacturing, construction, medical practices, retail, real estate development, not-for-profit organizations, mortgage brokers, law firms and a variety of other closely held and family owned companies.
In addition to Brian's financial reporting and tax expertise, he frequently counsels clients in the following areas:
- Providing extensive accounting and financial management advice for improvement of internal control systems, cash flow analysis, projections and budgeting, employee benefit programs and designing of accounting systems.
- Developing internal profitability models for manufacturing, construction, retail and various medical service organizations.
- Review all accounting, tax and profitability implications of business mergers and acquisitions.
- Complete research and testimony for litigation support involving business and personal asset valuations, including divorce proceedings.
- Providing clients with extensive retirement planning reports and advice including assistance with estate and gift tax planning.
- Client representation for federal and state tax audits concerning corporate, partnership, estate and individual tax matters. Successfully negotiated tax settlements and payment plans at both the federal and state levels.
- Consultation regarding federal and state historic tax credits, including certification of the credits with the appropriate federal or state agency.
Brian has a Bachelor's Degree in Accounting from Assumption College and a Masters of Science in Taxation from Bryant College. He is also a certified public accountant and a member of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants and the Massachusetts Society of Certified Public Accountants.